A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Preparing for Take Off

Bird and I have been busy working on last minute To Do's for our trip to Europe. Last week, I went shopping and found 7 new outfits all interchangeable. Lucky me, my mom bought them for me for my birthday gift. I also did the impossible. I found shoes that actually fit my feet and don't cause blisters. I love my new Naot walking shoes! Here is a picture of them but I bought black not brown. I will be the first person to admit the price of them was INSANE but I have tried on hundreds of pairs of shoes over the past 10 years of my life and not one have ever fit my feet the way these do. I feel like I'm walking on air! Today we got a bit of a surprise regarding our airline tickets. We purchased them a month ago yet today received an email saying we didn't have assigned seats. No big deal right? HA! Bird informed me he was passed between 3 count them 1, 2, 3 airlines. Each one of them playing pass the buck. Ie. Not my problem. If you know my husband, you know he's the most patient man in the UNIVERSE so when he said he was done trying I was immediately worried. He's always the one who works miracles when I've struggled to find answers. Today, the universe was worked in my favor not his. I got the answers and our seat assignments my first call. YEAH! We've been trying to make decisions re. our shore excursions when off the cruise ship. The most difficult choices for us seem to be in France. Provence to be exact. Maybe you all have some input and can help us choose. Here are our top 2 choices for our first day in France.
1. Arles and Les Baux: Takes you to the heart of traditional Provence. The city of Arles lies between the two most scenic areas of France, the Camargue ranch lands and the scenic groves and fields of Provence. You'll pass through the beautiful Provencal countryside on your 1.5 hour drive to Arles. Once in Arles, you will embark on a walking tour to discover where Van Gogh lived and painted. You will see Fafe du Forum, Republic Square with its Roman obelisk, Arles Arenas, the 17th century Town Hall, the Church of St. Trophime and its cloister. You will stop for photographs before your arrive in Les Baux. Once in Les Baux, you'll proceed with a walking tour. Your guide will take you along the cobblestone streets lined with local craft stores to see the exterior of the Citadelle and Fortifications, followed by free time to explore the area on your own.
OR
2. Luberon Villages including Ansouis, Lourmarin & Roussillon: The region is full of charm with striking solitary woods, rocky countryside, and picturesque hilltop villages. Travel by coach for 1.5 hours to the village of Ansouis. Discover the old village that is located at the base of the castle and has radiated out as it has grown over the centuries. Ansouis homes are arranged in a semicircle on the hillside of the mountain for protection from the fierce mistral winds. Visit the inside of the castle and take in the atmosphere of a Provencal village. Next, re board the coach for the drive to Lourmarin, classified as one of the most beautiful villages in France. Upon arrival there will be some free time for independent exploration, shopping or lunch. Continue next to Roussillon that is situated in the heart of one of the biggest ochre deposits in the world. The village is famous for its magnificent red cliffs and ochre quarries. Red, yellow and brown shades of the earth form a striking contrast to the lush green pine trees. The vivid blue of the Provencal sky and exceptional quality of light make this a magical site. It is like an artist's pallet, with the infinite combinations of colours varying from yellow to purple with all the shades of pink and red in between. Enjoy a short guided walking tour of the Roussillon before having some free time for shopping.
What do you think? Have you been to any of these places? What would you choose? I posted a little poll above. Go ahead and help us out with our trip by voting.

14 comments:

Bug said...

I am so glad that you were able to get the seat assignments worked out. I am amazed and shocked that Bird became frustrated with it. That is SO unlike him!

As for the excursions...Well you know I haven't been to either of them. But, I think you would like the first one best. But, I could be completely wrong! :) Good luck figuring it out.

I might have to re-read again and vote again as well!

Oswego OUT of the HOUSE now!

Love ya Girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds wonderful no matter what you do!
I can't wait to see pictures!!!

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

That must have been so stressful!! I am glad it all worked out!! I hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Rowena said...

Frizzy I wish I could be more helpful on the choices (I went with the 2nd) but all I can say is that whichever you go with, I'm sure it'll be fun! Oh, and about the price of those Naots? BAHHH! Comfortable shoes that fit well are worth the expense, and that pair is just perfect!

cat said...

Oh I am so jealous of your trip - please enjoy it to the full. AS a huge Van Gogh fan I have to go for Ales!

Unknown said...

How exciting! And I totally LOVE those shoes!!!

Wisconsin Girl said...

When do you leave for your trip? I am so excited for you...reading the descriptions of those excursions makes me drool...and to think, that's just ONE of your shore excursions! As most have said, you'll love whichever one you do. The second one caught my attention, but that's just me. They both sound fabulous (thanks to the writer for embellishing the description to the max...makes them sound heavenly!). And as for the shoes...comfort is worth the price. I've worn Privos for the past couple years and LOVE them. More expensive, but I wear them everywhere and never have a complaint. You get what you pay for with comfort shoes like that! I'm so excited for you guys!!!!

Rebecca Jo said...

I placed my vote....

sounds like its going to be quite an adventure!!!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Have fun!! Can't wait to hear all about it when you return.
Hoping we get to see each other at Applebies in Silverdale once you are home and not to tired!
Will be thinking of you.

The Blonde Duck said...

Second one. Castles, honey. Castles.

Susie said...

I have never been to Europe so both sound great to me!!

Betty said...

I wouldn´t be able to choose... I´ve never been to Europe so anything sounds good to me! :)
I love the shoes you got! They do look comfy!
Can´t wait to see the pic´s of your trip....meaning take lot´s of pictures! :)

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

girl, i have no idea! you'll love it - so close your eyes and make a pick! ;)

ugh - tornados here and more coming. one death in Kirksville, of all places...think i'll get my work done in case we have to go downstairs. (don't you miss that?! you cali girl, you!)

love ya!

ps - LOVE the pic of you two, plus the story of your mama. you're a good daughter. i need to sit down and color with my daughter for hours. ugh. when??

Mummy McTavish said...

I can't decide, I'm useless to you.

It all sounds so exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it on the blog;)

Just remember the two B's... Batteries and Back-up memory card. Can I come with you if I promise to bring both? I'm so excited for you!