A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Date with Heaven

continued from Love at First Sight

Dear Yaya, FINALLY Wednesday arrived! Daddy and I went to work but I honestly doubt either of us got very much accomplished. All we could do was think of you and how it would feel to finally meet you. We didn't know it but it was the biggest night of our life. We joked that it felt like we were going on a blind date we were so nervous. We met Jo in the parking lot of In and Out Burger on Nellis Blvd around 6:30 P.M. Then, we followed her to your house. I'm not sure how we didn't pass out from excitement as we walked up the front steps and waited for someone to open the door.

Your foster mom, Christall came to the door and led us into her kitchen where you were sitting in a high chair eating. Seeing you for the first time was indescribable. You were beautiful even with food all over your face! Christall cleaned your face and picked you up. You were held by Jo and her intern. I wanted to scream, “IT’S MY TURN! PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME WAIT A MINUTE MORE OR I’LL EXPLODE!” Instead, I waited for my turn as my heart felt like it might explode from my chest.

When I finally pulled you into my arms tears filled my eyes but I had to force myself not to let them fall. I was terrified I might scare you or that you would cry. Instead, you just tilted your head and looked at me. I also remember you taking your tiny fingers and playing with my cheeks and lips. You still like to do this to my face even now.

Daddy and I asked a million questions. We wanted to hear everything about you and we soaked you up like sponges. I asked Daddy if he wanted to hold you. You won't believe this but before you he was awkward around babies. You helped him over this very quickly when I put you in his lap. You looked up at him and wrapped your long toes around both of his pointer fingers and held on for dear life. I know in that same moment you had his great big heart wrapped around your tiny little finger. You couldn't stop staring at each other and watching you share that moment took my breath away.
Sitting in daddy's lap for the very first time reaching up to touch his face.
You can't imagine how hard it was to leave Christall's house without you in our arms. It was even harder each time we met after that. 14 days later, you came home to us forever. You were worth the wait!

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Thank you so much for sharing this story! This is a very private and peronal journey....what a lucky family you are to have her and...more than that....how blessed YaYa is to have you. This family was definitely made in heaven!

P.s. The anticipation....this would have killed me, I think!!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

ahhhh...i love it! being an adoptive momma through private and foster care adoptions...it's so different! and in each case i remember seeing that precious baby for the first time and knowing that god had sent them special to us. thanks for sharing your kind words. jk's bday was yesterday and i was telling her how i got the phone call about her being born...i was eating a pbj talking with a friend. we met 10 days later. ahhhh.

Rebecca Jo said...

I can only imagine... I'm sure words dont even describe the anticipation of holding her... & then to know she was YOURS... how neat a story!

Betty said...

How sweet. Thanks for sharing! I¨m sure words can never be enough to describe your emotions!

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Your post made me cry -- How beautiful. That is a story she will always cherish.
Thank your for sharing!

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

AWWWWW!!! You two are the best parents ever. Nevaeh was meant for you from the beginning. I love your blogs. this one especially. What a beautiful journey and I feel so blessed to have been able to share it with you.
Christall

Renata said...

This is beautiful - thanks for sharing! What a precious daughter you have!

Nichole said...

I can only imagine all you were thinking and feeling that day. What a great story, thanks for sharing it with us.

BBB said...

Um... crud girl can we get a tissue warning.

That's just a beautiful "birth" story.

Susan said...

So sweet! I have so enjoyed reading your adoption journey.

cat said...

Oh I have no words, just tears.