Since moving to California we've grown accustom to smelling this creature's pungent odor. They seem to be everywhere. We can't go out for the night without encountering their horrible smell at least once.
Photo source:Chris's Pet Skunk Page
Lately, this smell has even been showing up around our home. We live in a large city here people not the country. What gives?! Last night, the smell awoke me from my sleep. Not exactly a smell you want to wake up to. I'm telling you it was overwhelmingly STRONG sickening even! It probably didn't help that I accidentally left the back window open all night. Yeah, I DID! NICE GOING AYE?! Even worse, I forgot the window was open and had the heat running all night. Seems having the window open and the heat running helped to carry this creature's odor throughout my home. It's in every room and it's awful! I thought the smell would go away by the time I returned from Bible study with my friends and their kids for lunch. NOPE! It was still here lingering like yesterday's rotten trash but worse. To top things off, our landlord dropped by (unannounced for the 100Th time) so I put him to work looking for this varmint. Just my luck, he can't find where the skunk or skunk(s) may be hiding under or around our home. I know that stinker is there and now so do all my friends. The smell says it all! So...here's what I've been researching this afternoon.
Here's what I've learned:
The orange tree whose branches hang into our yard may be enticing the stinky fella(s).
They are able to squeeze into a hole as big/small as 4 inches.
They may burrough under gardens or buildings.
They mate in February. (I'm wondering if this caused last night's big stink!)
I'm forever thankful my dogs sleep inside with us. I can't imagine how awful the smell might be if they had done the tango with this yucky visitor.
Have any of you had something similar happen? What did you do to get rid of the animal and the smell they left behind?

15 comments:
And you invited us for Dinner!? I guess you know my smeller isn't working. Thanks anyway. Hey lets fgo for a walk tomarrow if it is nice. Mom
Wish I could help you out with the skunk smell!
I was sad to read your other post about Tuesday and K. Your words are wise my dear friend.
I love you and miss you TONS!
OH NO! That's just awful! I'm sorry I just wouldn't know what to do...
Hoping this stinker** goes away soon! Like now! lol
Love ya bunches!
I have no clue.
It's horrible though....
oh my, I am so sorry...never had to deal with a skunk
Do not know and hope I never have to find out. If I do I will come to you first, because by then you should know the answer:)
How horrible!! No! I have never encountered something like this. I wish you well in getting rid of the smell (hey, I'm friggin Dr. Suess:-).
Hey! So sorry about the skunks, hope you get that taken care of soon, guess it's not pepe le pew
and his love interest. My husband was remembering that she did not return the favor. Maybe your little skunk friends had a lovers spat!:) Of course it is okay to use songs from my playlist, since they are love songs maybe you could use it to quieten down the skunk ruckus.
Gosh, and I am a smell sensitive person. I would not be able to be inside the house at all. Good luck girl!I find chocolates work well in all times of distress.
OH NO... that IS a horrible smell!!!
All I think about when I hear skunk is the Partridge Family all having to take a bath in tomato juice... sorry, that's all the help I am!
Sorry to hear about your stinky situation! Sorry I don't have any helpful tips on how to get rid of the smell!
Oh, no, I hope your skunk issue is resolved soon! How disgusting for you to have to go through that.
I hope you can get rid of the smell - yuck!
I'm glad we don't have skunks over here.
I only smelt a skunk once, and once was enough (I was in Arizona in 1980, and my Uncle drove past a dead one. I was amazed it still had such a strong skunk smell.)
I get ths information from the movie "Barbie in Swan Lake" - use vinegar and tomato juice to get rid of the skunk smell. (Can't tell you if it works though.)
too funny. we have one of those crazy critters near us too. we always smell it in the summer. and we are not in the country either!
i don't know what to do to get it out though...just google it!
Post a Comment