Monday, February 2, 2009
How do we help those who have lost so much?
It's been a long month. One with quite a few emotional roller coasters that continue even now. My girlfriend, Bug and her family lost her Grandfather in Law in mid January. Then, after tons of prayers we also learned sweet Kaitlyn and Tuesday earned their wings and are now with our Heavenly Father too. There are no words to express how a person feels when they lose someone close. It's even more difficult to comprehend when an infant or child passes away. What do you say to bring comfort to their family and friends at such a time? "I'm so sorry" just doesn't seem to cut it. "I'm here and praying for you if you need anything" doesn't seem like enough either.
I remember how I felt after my attempts at invitro failed. I was devastated that my body couldn't carry/support a baby. I wasn't even able to get pregnant and I was completely empty and lost. There was nothing anyone could say to make me feel better. I felt like people expected me to get over it, stop talking about it and just move on already! I couldn't no matter how hard I tried. I just couldn't. I was grieving for the child I could never give my husband. Grieving for the child that would never have my hair or my husband's eyes, smile and funny personality. I needed to talk about my loss so that I could move on. In recalling my own feelings of loss, I cannot begin to fathom the depth of pain and emptiness these families are now experiencing. Please know I am not comparing my loss to theirs. I am fumbling just like many of you to make sense of this.
I've never met these angels and my heart is hollow and empty where hope once radiated for them and their recovery. What's worse, I imagine how empty their family's arms must feel w/o their precious loved one/babies to hold and snuggle. How do we begin to help fill such a deep void and move forward? These are questions I keep coming back to and here is what I've come up with.
I am praying someone gives them permission to grieve. REALLY GRIEVE!!! We all need to encourage them and give them permission to grieve here with us. Don't let them get caught up in being strong for their other children or spouse. Instead, give the entire family permission to grieve, together. Kids need to know and see how this loss is effecting their parents. Seeing their parents grieve will help them feel safe and they'll know they aren't alone in their feelings of loss. We need to allow them to be angry at us and the world if that's how they feel. We can let them talk/write about their feelings of loss. We can tell them it's normal to think they've heard their voice. We can tell them they're not crazy when the think they've seen their loved one from the corner of their eye. We need to encourage them to TALK ABOUT IT and how that moment made them feel. We need to remind them how much they are loved. They need to feel safe as they deal with each stage of grief. If you are a friend or family member please do this for them and for yourself too for as long they/you need to. For what it matters, I too am here as long as you need me or just a shoulder.
These 3 individuals have touched so many of our lives and hearts. They will all be missed more than any of us can find words to express.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Such a great post.
I think some times it may be the other person doesn't necessarily want you to stop talking about it... its just that they may not know what to say. At least, that's how I feel a lot of time. I feel like I never have the right words to say... so I just won't say anything. Which is probably not the best thing to do... hmmmm.
I was just heartbroken when Tuesday died. I had only found their blog 3 days before and I had been praying for a miracle.
I pray that all of the love they've been shown on here will lift them when they need it.
Great post. :)
Really great post. I think you are right. Words don't bring comfort....people do.
thank you.
~kJ
What a beautiful post. So often we want to help them "get through it" when what they really need is support to just live it right now. Thank you for reminding us.
I think the problem with this society is that extended grieving is looked upon as a weakness, a weakness in the respect that the grieving person is still stuck in "the past" and unable or unwilling to move on. I just don't see why anyone would think that its their business to pass judgment like that. You don't rush a superficial wound into healing itself, so why should it be any different for an emotional wound?
Such wise words girl!
And love the look of the blog (have I said it before?)
So much truth here.... we seem to be people who are afraid of grief - afraid to show it & afraid to see it in others.... God created us this way - to have heavy hearts & to deal with it - Grief is part of that process....
I totally understand the grief that you too had to go through... I too deal with it... & that others dont understand, its hard
I read about her death at another blog and was shocked. It really must be so hard. Your post is right on!
Um... just an amen sister.
oh my. my heart aches for those families. i can't imagine.
your words are good and a gentle reminder that some things don't need words...just a listening spirit.
Well said.
I'm just glad you don't mind I kinda took over the Duck and Chicken saga!
It is always so hard to know what to do or say. I remember a time a person I went to school with lost his daughter in a car accident. He was driving, but it was not his fault. He blamed himself though. One day I mentioned her to him and asked how he was doing. His eyes welled up with tears and he told me he was so happy I had asked. So many people are afraid to ask and he had so much hurt built up inside himself. We talked for a while and I think he felt much better. It is not a thing one gets over in a heartbeat. Your child or loved one is with you forever. Eventually you are able to tuck him/her into a private place in your heart and continue with life. The person is forever a part of you and who you are. I actually found out about Tuesday the day after she went home. I applaud the faith of both of these families.
Good post Frizzie.
Post a Comment