A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Forgiveness

A few weeks ago the Sunday sermon was about forgiveness. Not just God's forgiveness of our sins but also our forgiveness of those who have sinned against us. Forgiveness sounds like such a simple thing to do but in reality it can be an impossible task. The inability to forgive can cause just as much pain and grief as the original offense itself. Especially when someone you love and trust has wounded or betrayed you. God forgives us of all our sins and He commands us to do the same for our fellow man. If God can forgive us our sins at the cost of His own son shouldn't we be able to forgive someone for much less? Below are a few scriptures declaring God's instructions for us: Matthew 18:21-22 Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times. (NIV) Footnote; Or 70 x 7. Luke 6:37 Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. (NIV) Colossians 3:13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. (NIV) I will be the first to admit I am a sinner! I need and ask for God's forgiveness EVERY DAY. I also ask daily for God's help in forgiving those who have wronged me though sometimes that task has seemed nearly impossible to do. Think about it, when you hurt someone there is nothing more you want than to be forgiven by them. Why is it so easy to ask for forgiveness but so hard to grant it? Today, I pray the scriptures above help a very dear friend of mine who is hurting very badly. Her husband has committed the ultimate crime in a marriage. I hope she remembers the act of forgiveness isn't for him. In fact, forgiveness is a gift to herself so she can begin to heal and move on. You are in my thoughts and prayers today my dear. I know you are stunned with this recent news just as we all were when you shared it with us. I promise to stand by you through this very difficult time in your life and marriage. I hate that I can't physically be with you to give you a hug or just offer my shoulder to cry on. However, I will pray you are able to FORGIVE so that you can find trust, love and happiness once again in your current marriage or some day with someone new.

8 comments:

Susie said...

That's horrible! I am glad that your friend has you to help her through this difficult time.

Renata said...

Your poor friend. I hope she has plenty of support - it's great she has you.
I never found forgiveness challenging until last year when my MIL began to criticize me to my face - I now understand the over & over part of forgiveness because each time I think of it I get angry & it's a choice to once again forgive.
Thanks for sharing.

Betty said...

I´m so sorry for your friend! That is just awful!
Great post!!

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad your friend has a buddy like you!

Shannon said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your friend...

cat said...

Thanks for reminding me again! I am so sorry for your friend - the ultimate betrayal. We have a good friend who's wife left him after she cheated on him.

Rebecca Jo said...

Forgiveness.... its where I fail so badly myself. Our human side wants to hang onto the "But you hurt me" when not letting go only CONTINUES to hurt! Such a hard thing.

My heart goes out to your friend as well... its hard to forgive a betrayal - but look at all Christ has forgiven us for...

Thank you for the scriptures...I myself need to remember verses on forgiveness daily!

Susan said...

I am so sorry for your friend. She is very blessed to have someone like you praying and supporting her.