A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

For my dear friend, Bug!

Yesterday, I wrote about my friend CJ. Today, I'm celebrating another friend's birthday. In fact, I met Bug through CJ during their joint birthday celebration about 12 years ago. She was fun to hang with and I loved her honesty. Many times I felt like she could hear my thoughts w/o my having to actually speak them. There was no beating around the bush or trying to hide my feelings with her. She could see right through me. She was also the first friend I had ever had who loved sports (more so football) as much as most guys. She could also challenge any guy to a burping contest and win hands down. DON'T Kill Me for saying that Bug! You know it's true. ;)
Anyway, I quickly learned never to call her when the Nebraska Huskers were playing. She would either be really happy they were winning or P.O.'d they were losing. She REALLY gets into the game! Love ya BUG! ;) We had similar childhoods as Bug was a military brat like myself. This meant she understood how it felt to always be the new kid and the importance of making fast life-long friendships. Here we are at a Halloween party CJ and I threw in 98.
Pretty soon she and I were together all the time. She was a lot of fun and I love how she and Bird harass each other during games. Never a dull moment with those two in the same room! She was also very protective of me. She made sure Bird knew I was special and he better not break my heart or he'd have to deal with her. LOL! Because of her supportive roll in our relationship I couldn't think of a better person to be my Maid of Honor.
Here she is at my side on the biggest day of my life.
Bug is also one of the few friends who has made a point of coming to visit us multiple times since we've been married. (Remember, we've moved 8 times in 9 years.) Here we were hiking at Vedauwoo outside of Laramie, Wyoming.
I was flattered a few years later when Bug asked me to be her Matron of Honor. How many of us are lucky enough to reunite with our high school sweet hearts and marry them? That's what happened to her! Here we are at her bridal shower in KC in 06.
 
Her sister and I standing next to her on her wedding day.
Bug and her hubby were also the first friends to come visit us after we adopted Yaya. She was just as excited as we were to have Yaya in our life. So much so, she quickly announced she was Yaya's aunty Bug! I don't know what I would have done w/o Bug in my life. She lifted me off the floor of some very dark days of IVF and again as we transitioned out of the military. I know if I ever need her she's right there no questions asked and I would do the same for her.
She's had a rough time the past few years with jobs, health problems and even loss of loved ones. No matter how hard it gets for her she refuses to let life get her down. She's a fighter and always has been. If someone tells her she can't do something she'll be the first one to prove them wrong. I love that quality about her! In fact, there's not too much I don't love about her.
Here's a poem I found to honor you today:
My Friend
The one who always is around when I truly need a friend
On whose smiling, gentle caring ways I always can depend,
My soul mate in so many ways, who knows the inner me..
The one who understands my soul, with eyes which really see.
The one whose lived through ups and downs, together as we do
Yet coming out the other side, with friendship strong and true..
Friendship of a special kind, with everlasting hope,
Being there to guide along... when days are hard to cope.
Just know I'll always be here, as you have been for me,
Non restricting kindness, like the butterfly floats free...
No ties or obligations, no judging to be done,
Just caring gentle friendship, always gentle fun.
Following the rainbow, until we both grow old,
Together as true friends we'll be, until we find the gold...
Sweet soul mate of a special kind, thanks for who you are,
My sunshine on a cloudy day, my ever bright new star.
Thanks for being special, as special as can be...
And know that 'til forever, you will mean so much to me. Copyright ©2005 Sally Y Hemingway

7 comments:

Bug said...

MWAH!!! {{{hugs}}} Thank you for all the kind words. I will have to remember them on my down days! I am so glad that we met and that CJ was such a big part of bringing us together. You are a rock even if you think you aren't from time to time! Yes, I do love my sports and I miss being able to watch Husker games all the time now that I live in Illinois. Everything is all about Northwestern or the Illini out here! Blah...blah...blah! and I read the part to hubby about burping and he broke out laughing! But I don't do that anymore! :) I try not too anyway.

Love ya Mucho!

Mummy McTavish said...

Aww, you have such great friends. Hope they both have great birthdays.

Susie said...

Another great friend and another great tribute! You are an awesome friend:-)

Gramma 2 Many said...

What a sweet tribute. Happy birthday to another of your wonderful friends. You are both so blessed to have one another.

Anonymous said...

seriously what would we do without our friends?
Great post and thoughts on friendship!

cat said...

What a lovely tribute! It is so great to have best friends like that!

Kristin said...

I love reading your friendship stories! The love you have for your friends just radiates off the page. I can tell you would be a great friend to have. I'm so glad I found your blog!

Happy Birthday Bug!