Have you ever been sitting their watching TV or listening to the radio when you're unexpectedly taken back in time? Back to a special moment you hadn't thought of in years... or as in my case, a memory floods back to a specific moment you've never remembered with so much detail before? That happened to me last night while flipping channels. I happened upon a movie called The Cutting Edge and it instantly took me back to the basement of my then, best friend's parent's home. It felt like I was caught in a time warp much like you see in the picture below.
Above Photo found here.
I don't often write about past relationships on my blog as it just doesn't seem right. However, I'm making an acception because last night's time warp made me really miss my friend. We shared a love of music, movies, volleyball, and life. He was there as I was beginning to spread my wings of independence. Those were some of the hardest and best years of my life. We fought like cats and dogs when we were protecting each other or didn't like/agree with what the other had to say. We called each other's mom "Mom.." We traveled together to Kentucky, Florida and even attended the 96 Olympics in Atlanta together.
For a long time I didn't do anything that didn't include him as part of my life plan. If we weren't in class or at work, we were on the phone or road driving 4 hours to spend time together. We had some crazy times and phone bills back then I'll tell ya! No free minutes and we didn't own cell phones. We're talking old school days!
He was my best friend for years and for a short time we were romantically involved. He understood me better than I understood myself and helped me through many difficult times in college. We met on my 19th birthday which was also the 1st of many times he would come to my rescue. He even stood at the altar as one of my "bridesmaids" on my wedding day. How many guys would do that? That's the kind of guy/friend he is/was. These days, we're both happily married with families of our own and we live half way across the country from one another. There are times like last night, when thoughts of him come rushing back and cause me to think of or worry about him. When this happens, I often email him but more and more often, he doesn't respond. In fact, I haven't heard from him since May. He has his reasons, I don't know what they are but I respect for some reason he needs his distance. It doesn't change the fact that I think of him often and hope he's OK. I also hope he knows I will always be here for him as he was for me so many times. It also doesn't change the fact that I miss having him and his friendship in my life. Does that make me selfish?




16 comments:
Welcome Facebook. There's only one person still missing on that list of "must finds..." Thanks to you for hooking me up!
I'm kinda sad after reading your post. I have nothing bloggy to say lately, but I do know you're feeling some pain over this...
I remember Cutting Edge, though. Eric said I was the main character. I took offense. She was kind of witchy, no? Hmmm...
Love you. Know you're missing your friend.
Sweet, Nichole...I think Kent and I both have had those relationships too! It definitely is hard to always make time for that special email...BUT...just knowing you had that time together is still a comfort...this might sound very silly and immature...but FaceBook has connected me to Kent's panama friends and our TLU friends...and my gradeschool friends...and it a lil' slice of heaven to catch up!
I loved reading your time warp write-up! ;-)
I totally get what you mean. My BFF from high school... we were likethis. Peas & carrots. We did everything together. She got me. And I got her.
But a few years after graduation we slowly drifted apart. It just happened... we didn't have a fight or anything like that. We both just got busy with our own lives, I guess.
And every now and again I'll hear a song or see a movie that reminds me of her in some way. Or come across and old photo of us. Heck, she was one of my bridesmaids, so all I need to do is glance at the photo of my bridal party that hangs in my hallway! And I'll start to think of how much I've missed her and her friendship.
I'm sorry your friend has not gotten back in touch with you lately. I don't think it makes you selfish at all to miss the friendship you had and want to reach out to him... we all need to be surrounded by good friends.
Maybe with it being this time of year, he will reconnect with you. Just to say hi... see how you're doing.
I know exactly how you feel..... I have a guy friend I LOVED whole heartedly & we lost contact.... I have tried to find him but his name is so generic (like John Smith) - that its impossible to find him now... so sad....
Have to believe God puts people in your lives for a time & even though they are gone - they still have a part of your heart...
Yep. I miss a friend I had when I was 11 years old. I still think about him often. I always wonder how he's doing..
Thanks for visiting my blog today!
Yep... my best friend in college... I know he's married with at least one child... but that's about it... I would love to know how he is.
Ok I love that movie for one thing...and I have a best guy friend like that too :)
Fortunately for me (or unfortunately depending on how you see it) my memory chips are fading and if there is ever an occasion as you described I'm like...what's his/her face? when was that? what year was this? Honestly, when I met up with some elementary school friends last month, they were telling ME about things that I had very much forgotten.
Thank you for letting me know about the live presepio in Sesto Al Rhegena -- I checked it out! Bad news is that we will be up in Trentino-Alto Adige for the holidays, so I do hope that they have something similar in the region. If not, I'm looking forward to the orange battle at Ivrea next year. Just gotta sit it for myself at least once!
I have tons of friends like that. It makes me sad because they aren't in my life anymore but I feel warm for having them when I did:-)
Ohh - I am sorry about this.It is hard to lose touch. I hope everything works out. I love the cutting edge. I used to watch it with my bf al the time.
That's a shame he doesn't talk to you anymore. I had a great friend in hs that I remember when I see Moulin Rouge and hear certain songs.
I hope you get in contact soon. What a nice person he sounds.
Maybe Christmas will cause him to get back in contact.
My best friend from my senior year of high school and I tried to live together when we went away for college. We were really close, but her goals turned more towards having fun and mine were more school related so we drifted apart while we were still living together. It made for a tense situation and we parted ways on bad terms. That was about 10 years ago and I still sometimes wish that I could talk to her now.
I think it is very normal and common to click back to the past and think about those relationships. You both look happy in that picture. Maybe it is harder for him to think about the past and his feelings about the relationship. Some people have a harder time keeping perspective. It sounds like you two were very close.
Very sweet! It's tough when we lose a special friend. But at least you have those special memories to recall!
lost friendships are hard.
i think it's awesome that your hubby was ok with him being in your wedding party. i think my hubby would've taken one of the bridesmaids out (and I dont' mean on a date) lol
Post a Comment