A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Adopting an Attitude of Gratitude

How do we adopt an attitude of gratitude when it seems life isn't going our way? This has been a very hard lesson for my husband and me the past few weeks. You see, like many Americans these days it seems his job may be in jeopardy. This is such a different story than we were facing only 3 months ago when he was in fact offered a promotion by the regional vice president. You can probably imagine we are a bit dazed and confused for lack of a better phrase. It's a bit unnerving to imagine the possibility of facing another holiday season of uncertainty and change. In this time of economic depression we can't imagine how hard it will be if he once again is faced with finding a new job. So, in times of such uncertainty what are we to do? This week's bible study once again couldn't have had better timing. It reminded me that God wants us to be thankful for everything and always. It's easy to find something to be thankful for when life is floating along nice and easy. It's a bit more difficult when faced with the unknown. Here are a few scripture with God's command of being thankful. Ephesians 5;19-20 Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 2 Corinthians 4:13-18 "I believed; therefore I have spoken." Since we have that same spirit of faith, we also believe and therefore speak, 14 because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus from the dead will also raise us with Jesus and present us with you to himself. 15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God. 16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. The following verse was sent to us just before Bird was to deploy to Iraq. It has been a source of strength for us during some very hard times and is framed on our wall. Once again I find it brings me strength and peace. Isaiah 40:28-31 28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. 29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. 30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; 31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. I must also admit I am afraid. Even when I know there is no reason to fear. No matter how hard I try to lay my worries at God's feet I find they are still there, ever present. It is much easier for me to find things to be thankful for. Such as...My favorite season, My health, my family, a home, my faith, my friends and even a working computer/phone and Internet lines. You and I both know my husband, Bird stands at the top of my list of things to be thankful for. I love you Bird! I know things haven't been easy for you and I've told you how hard it is to see you struggle. I am and will always be here beside you. Fighting for what I know is right and believing in you. We'll get through this together. We have so much to be thankful for!

17 comments:

Debra Kaye said...

Frizzy,

My husband once told me this story about becoming fearful when things got tough at his workplace. He said he remembered that Job said "It is God that gives and God that takes away and as for me, I'll praise Him today"...I'm sorry I don't know exactly where it's at right now, my Bible isn't next to me and I'm just remembering Jay's story for Bird.

He said that in his industry things go up and down daily and as the provider for our home he could be up and down like a yo-yo. Bosses are here today and gone tomorrow...one may love him, the next may think he's not that great...So, he takes Job's stand.

He remembers that God gave him the job and if God chooses to take it from him then we move on and praise Him for whatever else He wants to move us on or toward. (OK, I have to admit, this doesn't seem as easy to me...maybe because women are wired differently)..but it works great for Jay and he has amazing peace with it.

Maybe it will give Bird a great sense of peace too. ((hugs)) to you guys!

Rebecca Jo said...

We are in such a season of fear for so many! Its easy to do - but remember - God did not give us a spirit of fear or timidity (1 Tim) .... the holdiays are going to be rough on lots of people - I'm seeing it as a turn back to what matters!!!! hang in there - remember God is in control!!!!

Breanne said...

I will be praying for yall. I am sorry yall are having to go through this. He is faithful and knows all. It is so hard not to worry I know! I will also pray he relieves that for you!

Julie said...

I will be praying that God gives you both a peace that surpasses all understanding! Praying for you during this time.. hugs from afar!

Unknown said...

You are in my prayers!

Dawn said...

I'll say a prayer about his job. I can only imagine how scary that must be.

You sited great scriptures and the ladies here had great advice as well.

Nichole said...

I'll keep you in my prayers. It seems that things always work out in the end as long as you have faith (and I know you do).

BBB said...

Just remember.. He has a plan..

Susie said...

It is natural to be afraid in this uncertain time but it is inspiring that you have something to draw strength from. Hang in there and be strong in the storm.

Nancy said...

Hang in there! Your needs are not unknown to the heart of God. He will never leave you! I am with you in prayer!!

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

I think you have a strength of faith to get your family through this. I am impressed with your look at the subject. It is hard to "practice what we preach". I will pray for your family during this time. In these times we can also depend on friends to "stand in the gap" for us as we struggle.

Bug said...

Frizzy,

I am so sorry to hear this news. I will be praying for you and hoping that all works out the way that God wants it to work out. It is so hard to face these times. Please lean on me if/when you want to!

I love and miss you dearly!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post.
I really needed those scriptures today.
As my Hubby and I were having breakfast this morning I shared with him (for the bazillionth time) my habit of worrying. It's an ugly thing. It controls a lot of my life and I'm really trying to LET God deal with it and change me. Here's a quote by James Russel Lowell that I so love and is so true (most of the time) ;)
LET US BE OF GOOD CHEER, REMEMBERING THAT THE MISFORTUNES HARDEST TO BEAR ARE THOSE WHICH WILL NVER HAPPEN.
Peace to you sister.

Dawn said...

I will keep your family in my prayers. Times like this can be scary, but we have to trust God to work His will in our lives. I have different fears, but am equally scared where my son is concerned, so I'm having to really trust God and it helps to know that He is going to take care of us.

Renata said...

Praying for you guys. Thanks for sharing your bible reading. I'm a worrier & it's good to remind me not to worry & be fearful. I also liked what Debra said in the first comment.

Liz {Learning To Juggle} said...

Thank you for posting that. My family is also at a time of uncertainty, I too am afraid. Your faith is beautiful, thank you for sharing so openly with us - it means more to me than I can say.

Gramma 2 Many said...

I was going to give you 2 Timothy 1:7, but I see Rebecca Jo already did. It was shared with me years ago when I was struggling with fear in my life. It became my lifeline. Hold on, we will all be on the roller coaster with you. As long as we keep our eyes on the prize, we will be safe.
Another good scripture is Matt 6:25-34. Hold tight little one. He is the winner in the final count and that is the one that is important.