A little about me and my family...

My photo
My love of people, photography and the world began as a child. My family moved a lot and taking pictures was my way of remembering friends, capturing special places or moments and holding them close. Becoming a wife and a mother has always been a dream of mine and I count my blessings daily. I started this blog shortly after our daughter, Yaya joined our family through the blessing of adoption. Its purpose was to share pictures and stories about our life with family and friends. Later, it shared our adoption journey to our second daughter, Baby Bird as well. Now that our family is complete I like to think of it as our family’s journal or life book. I'm passionate about life, my family and preserving our history one snapshot at a time. The thing that amazes me most is the abundance of beauty God blesses us with every day and in the simplest ways if only we take the time to slow down and appreciate them.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Think Pink and a Yummy Recipe.

Did you really think I would be able to let a day go by w/o talking about more of my Vegas trip? Well, I hope you'll find this double post is for a good cause. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I saw this little number while I was window shopping in the Venetian. My Mother in Law, Grandmother In Law, Bird's Aunt are all Breast Cancer Survivors. My great friend, Linda is a recent survivor of cancer as of April. Everyone in Bird's family has survived skin cancer. Bug's Sister in Law is battling Colon Cancer. A very dear friend of mine started Chemo this week and is having a really hard time with it. Then there's Tuesday. We are all impacted by cancer in one way or another. Please take time to do your monthly breast exams! It's so important for you and for your families! We/they need you! Join me in prayers for them and for a cure! Thank You!
I hope you enjoy my friend Carrie's
Feta Pear Salad.
A few years back I participated in a monthly recipe exchange. Each month we would submit one or two of our tried and true recipes to Carrie. She would organize them all and send them back to us via email. The end result, was a year of recipes for each month/season of the year. The recipes came from around the US and even other countries too. I use this book more than any of my store bought cook books. This is one of my favorites that Carrie herself submitted. I know you'll love it as much as I do. It's always at hit so if you make it be prepared for people to request the recipe! Plus, it's perfect for fall.
Salad Ingredients 1 head red or green leaf lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces 3 pears-peeled, cored and chopped (I've subbed cubed pears from the can in a pinch.) 5 oz feta cheese crumbles 1 avocado-peeled, pitted and diced ½ c thinly sliced green onions ¼ c white sugar ½ c pecans Dressing 3 tbsp red wine vinegar 1/3 Cup of EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil for those of you who aren't familiar with Rachel Ray.) 1 ½ tsp white sugar (I have substituted honey for sugar. Splenda might work too if you like.) 1 ½ tsp prepared mustard (I use Grey Poupon) pepper to taste ½ tsp salt 1 clove garlic, chopped In a skillet over medium heat, stir ¼ c of sugar together with the pecans. Continue stirring gently until sugar has melted and caramelized the pecans. Carefully transfer nuts onto wax paper. Allow to cool and break into pieces. For the dressing, blend oil, vinegar, 1 ½ tsp sugar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.In a large serving bowl, layer lettuce, pears, feta cheese, avocado and green onions. Pour dressing over salad, sprinkle with pecans, and serve. 6 servings.

14 comments:

Julie said...

that looks yummy, I am going to have to try it! Thanks for posting

Givinya De Elba said...

That looks really yummy! Thanks for dropping by Killing A Fly and leaving a comment!

Unknown said...

That recipe sounds scrumptious!

Kelly said...

That dress is so cool...you should have gone in and tried it on! ;) (even though it probably costs eleventybillion dollars!!)

That salad looks yummy!!

Susie said...

I was just saying that I didn't know what to do with all my pears! Thanks for the idea!

And, I tagged you on my blog today:-) Check it out:-)

Bug said...

Looks like you had a great time! Oh how I love the Venitian! I loved that salad! Thanks for reminding me about it!

Nichole said...

That salad looks really good. I've never eaten a lettuce salad with fruit on it before. Something about fruit and lettuce together that I just can't wrap my mind around.

I bought my Tough Enough To Wear Pink T-shirt this week. Can't wait to get it!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

looks delicious!

Dawn said...

That looks really good!!! Love the pictures! I have an award for you on my blog:-)

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

That looks so good! I just finished making a cancer support blog page, it is on my site! Thanks for sharing -- Much Love --

Anissa

Renata said...

Yum- that sounds delicious!
Thanks for the reminder on thinking pink - so important!

Anonymous said...

My Mother died from breast cancer so the issue really hits home for me too. I made a donation this morning.

Debra Kaye said...

First, you are so right when you say that cancer has affected us all in one way or another. My grandmother died from breast cancer and I am a cervical cancer survivor. Thank you for this post.

Second, the recipe looks yummy! Hope you are having a great weekend. Blessings to you sweet friend.

Rowena said...

Well that certainly is a pink number!

I hope I'm showing up on the map because I uhm *cough* am in a place where the internet works just dandy. The cough is probably due to whatever germs that circulated on the flight over. Ugh!

About the comment on Maddie...yes they gave her pain meds. She's doing much better now and probably doesn't miss her mama too much. Oh I bet her, Mr. B and my husband are having a big pizza party without me!